was successfully added to your cart.

An Ikea sofa hack for the TinCan! Finally!

By February 16, 2015 Airstream, DIY, Tiny Spaces

A snow day stay at home day…what could be better? A snow day sitting on my new sofa! Yes! I finally decided what to do with the front end sofa (which by the way doubles as my sleeping quarters). The Ikea sofa bed I have been using fit well and was very comfortable. However, the under bed storage was not that simple to access, and the storage space was rather small. Therefore, I have been tossing around ideas for how to revamp the space pretty much since I moved in. If you also follow me on Pinterest you’ve likely seen many of the ideas I’ve considered. Some of them were really complicated. I finally came up with a relatively simple solution using parts of the existing sofa. I guess this is what I see often referred to as an Ikea sofa hack. I completed this yesterday, and I now have a new spot to sit and type today. I love that it sits higher with a much shorter back so as to avoid obstructing the windows. Now I just need to work on improving the view out of that window, right?

IMG_7020 IMG_7019

This has been my spot for most of this afternoon. I love the new sofa. The lower back and higher seating area provide a vast amount of storage while allowing for an unobstructed view of the windows. I love sitting here. 

Now for a few before and after shots of this project:

IMG_6375

This was the original sofa frame from Ikea. It served me well for several years, but I want something with storage underneath that is easier to access.

IMG_6633

I kept the mattress and lower frame, and gave the rest to a friend. I think he said he’s going to use the bottom portion to frame out a wormbed. Haha! The worm’s need a bed too, right?

IMG_6953

I purchased to pieces of Poplar wood sized 12″x 36″ x 3/4″ from Home Depot. After making a template of the wall curve on pattern tracing paper, I cut the boards to match the curve of the wall.

IMG_6954

IMG_7014

I am using 1 1/2″ aluminum pipe for the legs. I need to sand off the blue residue on the pieces, but I would rather do that outside. Right now it’s a little cold to sit out there and sand, so this step is going to wait.
IMG_6955

1 1/2″ galvanized pipe floor flanges are used to attach the pipe to the sideboards and to the floor. I will attach it to the floor once the legs have been sanded.

IMG_6958

No project ever seems to go as easily as I think it should, and I always seem to make at least one more trip to Home Depot than I plan on. I miscalculated the width of the boards from the wall to the inner frame. Plan B consists of adding the strip of aluminum you see in the photo above to attach and add additional support for the inner section of the frame.

IMG_6966

Mattresses in place and stuff stashed underneath. Yay! The back mattress simple sits on the floor behind the frame. It adds a very short sofa back, and it can still be pulled out to provide additional sleeping space for a guest. I plan to make a skirt for underneath to hide the stuff or get some nice decorative baskets. One more trip to Ikea for a couple of more pillows is on the list too. Even this is an improvement though.

IMG_6968 I love the little side shelves!
IMG_6970

Even Ellie approves! (Please forgive the quality of this shot…she looked so content with the new bed I had to share it anyway.)

IMG_7018

Now to work on improving this view…Someday, someday…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: