I interrupt my previously scheduled vacation photo post to share a recent project here in the TinCan. I finally replaced the old rear sofa! This is a project I wanted to do from the beginning, but I never found exactly what I was looking for until now. I still haven’t completed the entire project exactly how my mind envisions it. Eventually I want to replace the solid wooden base frame with an open concept frame matching the front sofa. However, for now I’m thrilled with this very simple and inexpensive modification to accommodate my new cushions from Urban Outfitters. (In honor of full disclosure, I have no affiliate relationship on these) I love these cushions and they fit the space perfectly!
The wooden base was already here, installed by the previous owners. After removing the attached original metal sofa and frame, I realized the base could be used for now. All I needed was a few 2″x 4″ boards for slats. I found these precut in the needed 24″ lengths at my local Home Depot. However, in the interests of keeping the frame as light as possible, I then opted for less of the 2″ x 4″ slats and instead added a thin layer of baseboard over the slats to provide necessary support with less weight. All of these pieces where quickly installed upon return from the store after spending approximately $18.00.
A new coat of paint using Rust Oleum’s new chalk paint line in dark gray added the finishing touches today. As you can see below, Ellie, the TinCan cat, completely approves.